The India Energy Productivity Roadmap (2017 - 2019)
IIEC has been assigned a project to build momentum and capacity in India to improve (and ultimately double) the country’s energy productivity—i.e., the amount of economic output per unit of energy consumed. The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), which was established to implement the EC Act, is implementing national-level energy efficiency programs in the residential, municipal, building, industrial, agricultural, and commercial sectors. The project will support the BEE’s efforts in India – as well share international experience in developing national energy productivity plans and the strong collaboration between the Indian and U.S. governments – to provide a pathway to doubling India’s energy productivity in order to help meet India’s energy, climate, and economic goals. The project will carry out economic and environmental analyses to quantify the expected benefits (e.g., energy and cost savings, reduced emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants, and improved energy access) of achieving the goal.
- The project team will form a high-level Commission led by BEE and involving the Indian Ministry of Power, the Ministry of Urban Development, selected state-level and city-level policymakers, CII, and individual corporate leaders, and international public and private sector thought leaders on energy productivity to collaboratively develop the National Energy Productivity Policy Roadmap (“Roadmap”).
- Carry out economic and environmental analyses to quantify India’s baseline energy productivity at a national and sectoral level, account for existing and planned energy efficiency policies and programs, and calculate the expected benefits of doubling India’s energy productivity.
Based on this analysis, the project will develop the Roadmap for doubling India’s energy productivity, which will include a set of specific recommendations for public and private leaders to undertake
- Seek inputs from government and corporate leaders on the completion of the draft roadmap.
- Convene a national-level workshop to publicize and share the findings, conclusions, and recommendations with government and corporate leaders.
- Provide capacity building and direct technical support to two state governments to create tailored State Action Plans for implementing the recommended policies and programs.
Funding Agency/Client: Climate Works Foundation/ MacArthur Foundation